There are some books which I classify as being the "gold standards" for understanding the new Web. I believe all information professionals should take a look at these books and see how they fit into the "big" picture of the new way information is processed. Here are the top five.
(1) The Long Tail: Why the Future of Business is Selling Less of More (by Chris Anderson)
(2) Wikinomics: How Mass Collaboration Changes Everything (by Don Tapscott and Anthony D. Williams)
(3) The World Is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-first Century (by Thomas Friedman)
(4) The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference (by Malcolm Gladwell)
(5) Everything is Miscellaneous (David Weinberger)